Pages

Monday 30 May 2011

Don't say you love me

Aloha people!

I've been busy with school, having the last exams and summer holiday starting on Saturday. Can't wait.

I haven't really been up to much lately. Had this camp thing over the weekend, was pretty lame though. It's been raining quite a lot lately, but the weather's getting better now.

There's this one thing I've been meaning to post about for a long time, but for some reason never have. Have you people ever thought about "I love you" properly?

I've noticed, that it's much easier to say "I love you" in English than in Finnish. Even though I'd say my English is pretty fluent, things don't mean the same than they do with my mother tongue. Everything is so much less meaningful: swearing, expressing feelings. When speaking another language one easily exaggerates.

To me "I love you" is something really big and meaningful. I don't think I've ever said that to anyone. Maybe my mum when I was small. It's just not our thing to say it. In movies you hear people telling each other they love them all the time. The meaning has been lost. They say it to someone even though they don't even know the other person that well.

For me it'd take a long time before I'd have the courage to tell someone I loved them. I'd need to absolutely trust the other person and have a deep relationship before I'd be ready. "I love you" is not something to say to whoever. It's something really important, and I don't want it to lose its meaning.

There's one good example (or well, maybe not that good if you look at the whole story but let's just concentrate on this one detail) in Gossip Girl. You know on season two Chuck and Blair struggle saying "I love you" to each other. That's sort of the way it's supposed to be. "I love you" shouldn't be something you tell everyone. And I'm repeating myself.

But just think of it. Imagine saying "I love you" in English or whatever language you want and then in your mother tongue. There's a difference. At least to me. Your own language is much more meaningful. Try. I can repeat "I love you" much more easily than "Minä rakastan sinua". That's Finnish (for your information).

Anyhow, I gotta get going now. It's summer soon. Aloha!

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree! I've noticed the same thing

    ReplyDelete